KIBS Research Group in Russia
Institute for Statistical Studies and Economics of Knowledge (ISSEK)
We are a team of researchers based at the Institute for Statistical Studies and Economics of Knowledge (ISSEK), which is part of the National Research University Higher School of Economics (HSE). ISSEK is the leading center of excellence in the Russian Federation for science, technology and innovation (STI) statistics, policy, and foresight. It undertakes research on a wide range of topics in the field of science, technology and innovation (STI) studies, including STI measurement, policy and foresight. Dozens of research projects have been accomplished on the basis of ISSEK. The research results have largely contributed to the development of methods and practices of foresight studies in science and technology, in various sectors of the economy (energy, aircraft, motor vehicles, shipbuilding, oil extraction, petrochemistry, transportation, agriculture, media industry, and others), as well as to the design of evidence-based STI policies and the evaluation of their mechanisms and outcomes. Many of the projects were pioneer and made a major contribution to the original methodology and tools of statistical measurement of R&D, emerging technologies (nano- and biotechnologies, ICT, photonics, and others), innovation activities in mining and manufacturing, services, agriculture, and knowledge-intensive business services (engineering, design, and others).
The project »Monitoring of Knowledge-Intensive Business Services in Russia« has been conducted by ISSEK on a regular basis since 2006. The project database includes the results of in-depth expert interviews, as well as quantitative data obtained through substantial surveys of Russian KIBS producers and users. Currently, the project focuses on:
- Further expansion of the project’s database through the collection of open data and new survey planned for 2019
- Analysis of current trends in the most dynamic KIBS segments (IT, engineering and financial intermediation)
- Studying customization and coproduction in KIBS
- Defining and exploring business model innovation in KIBS
- Assessing the impact of disruptive technologies on KIBS
- Conducting financial analysis of KIBS.
Our team includes:
- Ian Miles
- Veronika Belousova
- Mikhail Gershman
- Gulnara Abdrakhmanova
- Nikolay Chichkanov
- Jacqueline Krayushkina.
We are happy to explore collaboration with researchers from other countries.
Articles and book chapters
- Miles I. D., Belousova V., Chichkanov N. Knowledge intensive business services: ambiguities and continuities // Foresight. 2018. Vol. 20. No. 1. P. 1-26.
- Gershman M., Thurner T. New development: Reinventing industrial policy—a Russian study in engineering and design // Public Money & Management. 2018. Vol. 38. No. 2. P. 157-160
- Miles I. D., Belousova V., Chichkanov N. Innovation Configurations in Knowledge-Intensive Business Services // Foresight and STI Governance. 2017. Vol. 11. No. 3. P. 94-102.
- Ena O., Abdrakhmanova G. I. ICT through the prism of critical technologies // Foresight. 2017. Vol. 19. No. 2. P. 121-138.
- Abankina I. V., Aleskerov F. T., Belousova V., Gokhberg L., Kiselgof S. G., Petrushchenko S., Shvydun S. V., Zinkovsky K. From equality to diversity: Classifying Russian universities in a performance oriented system // Technological Forecasting and Social Change. 2016. No. 103. P. 228-239.
- Belousova V., Chichkanov N. Knowledge-Intensive Business Services in Russia: 2014–2015 Crisis Aftermath // Foresight and STI Governance. 2016. Vol. 10. No. 4. P. 46-58
- Miles I. Twenty Years of Service Innovation Research, in: Service Innovation: Novel Ways of Creating Value in Actor Systems. Springer Japan, 2016. P. 3-34. doi
- Miles I. The Future of Services, in: Deploying Foresight for Policy and Strategy Makers: Creating Opportunities Through Public Policies and Corporate Strategies in Science, Technology and Innovation / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, D. Meissner, A. Sokolov. Netherlands : Springer International Publishing Switzerland, 2016. P. 227-244. doi
- Belousova V., Chichkanov N. Mobile Banking in Russia: User Intention towards Adoption // Foresight and STI Governance. 2015. Vol. 9. No. 3. P. 26-39.
- Belousova V., Karminsky A. M., Kozyr I. Bank ownership and profit efficiency of Russian banks / Bank of Finland Institute for Economies in Transition. Series DP “BOFIT Discussion Papers”. 2018. No. 5.
- Abdrakhmanova G. I., Kovaleva G. G., Plaksin S. Approaches to Defining and Measuring Russia’S Internet Economy / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP “Science, Technology and Innovation”. 2016. No. WP BRP 61/STI/2016
- Abdrakhmanova G. I., Kovaleva G. G., Bulchenko N. V. The Information Industry: Measuring Russia By International Standards / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP “Science, Technology and Innovation”. 2016. No. WP BRP 56/STI/2016
- Belousova V., Chichkanov N. Mobile Banking Adoption in Russia: What Incentives Matter? / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP “Science, Technology and Innovation”. 2015. No. WP BRP 48/STI/2015.